Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Frosty Strawberry Squares

These are delicious and easy! THe trickiest part is separating the egg whites.

CLICK HERE FOR THE ORIGINAL RECIPE


I modified the recipe slightly.

What you need:

- 1 cup flower
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups of sliced strawberries *
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, which is whipped **
- 1 tsp of vanilla. (I added that. I thought it would go well with the strawberries and almonds)

Notes:

* I used some strawberries that I had frozen earlier this summer. Thawed strawberries become very mushy, because they contain a lot of water. So what I did was actually mash them with a potato masher.

** I realized as I was making the recipe that I had forgotten to pick up some whipping cream!!! So I hurried to the nearest convenience store and sadly, all they had was coffee cream (18%). See below for results.

Ingredients (except the sugar)


Mix the sugar, flour, butter and almonds. Keep mixing until everything is slightly crumbly.



Crumbly mixture


Next comes baking the bottom of the squares. You can use a shallow pan, but if you don't have one, you can make a temporary one by spreading some aluminum foil, rolling the sides to make sides for the temporary dish.

Preheat the oven at 350F.
Bake for about 20 minutes, on the middle rack.

Preparing the crumble crust for baking



While the crust is baking, mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl EXCEPT THE CREAM until well blended. Using whipped cream, you would fold it gently in, not mixing too much to keep it stiff. Because I used cream, it was still liquid so it didn't matter.

Strawberry mixture


When the crust is baked, take it out and allow it to cool down a bit into the pan. I left mine a little bit too long and it cooked slightly too much. But still good! Not burnt.

Baked crust

Transfer the crust to the serving dish, about 9 X 13 in size. You're supposed to save a third of the mixture, but I forgot and put it all in. You're supposed to keep the rest to sprinkle on top. But anyway, this not being made with whipped cream, would have sunk in anyway. :P

Crust in the dish


Pour the strawberry mixture over the crust. Put into the freezer for at least six hours.

Mixture added on the crust


The squares, frozen and well-eaten!

Eat the squares still frozen. Very sweet and tasty!

2 comments: